kihon kumite 1 by sakagami sensei
Kihon Kumite is without doubt one of Wado's most important methods. All 10 are paired Kata.
They're built as a blueprint. As a way to physically study Wado's principles.
Number 1 or "Ipponme" is arguably the most important of all 10 — it's fundamental teaching of Taisabaki.
Let's start with that one first shall we?
Ukemi and Torimi both take Kamae.
Both Ukemi and Torimi take Kamae by stepping forward and backward after bowing from Shizentai (called Tachi Rei or Ritsu Rei). It is striking that Torimi always takes right stance in Kihon Kumite. Officially, this posture is called "Migi hanmi chudan gamae".
Ukemi executes Jodan Tobikomizuki while Torimi executes Jodan Nagashi Soto Uke.
After correcting the distance, Ukemi executes Tobikomizuki. Torimi controls Maai and executes Jodan Nagashi Soto Uke. Torimi implies an attack with this distance.
Ukemi executes Chudan Gyakuzuki while Torimi executes Chudan Harai Uke and Ipponken at the same time.
Ukemi follows with Chudan Gyakuzuki, Torimi twists his body clockwise to absorb and avoid the attack and counterattacks with Ipponken. Torimi executes Nagashi Uke with his right arm at the same time as he assumes Seishan Dachi. The right arm controls Ukemi and is ready to attack.
kihon kumite 1 videos
When it comes to performances, you need to take everything into account.
- Kobo Ittai.
- Ukemi & Torimi.
Here's how it all comes together ⬇️
Ten I, Ten Tai and Ten Gi are extremely difficult if not impossible to show correctly slowly. What you can see clearly is how to move your arms:
Ishikawa Sensei — Romania 2007
If you think you heard each and every explanation. Think again.
*All Pro Explanation Videos are down the page.
let's dig deeper into kihon kumite 1...
When you reach say... 3rd Dan? Start focusing more on Sente. And Kobo Ittai.
Both "attitudes" not only bring your Kihon Kumite from a fixed to a live form...
...they also allow you to create Henka Waza.
Here's an application of Kihon Kumite 1 where Nagashizuki is used to counterattack straight away.
kihon kumite 1 ohyo by sakagami sensei
This Ohyo uses all the elements from the first movement, but changes Nagashi Uke into Nagashizuki. This Ohyo shows not only another possibility...
It shows the intent you should have when doing Uke in the regular Kihon Kumite. Don't just think about attack or just about defence. Attack and defence roll into one. This is Ko Bo Ittai.
how to use kihon kumite 1 taisabaki
Most of the time, pre-arranged methods called Yakosuku Kumite are unlike actual fighting.
But. It doesn't mean that the principles and mechanics involved cannot be used for fighting. Without eleborating any further at this point, watch the videos ⬇️
- How to use Taisabaki from Goshin Jutsu
- How to apply it to Kumite
- And a perfect example of how to use Wado Taisabaki to absorb his attack and counter at the same time.
PRO: All Kihon kumite 1 in-depth explanations
This goes so deep you can write a book about it.
A chapter about your left elbow. Another about your right knee...
These videos cover:
- San Mi Ittai: How the creme de la creme from Wado works — there is no simpler explanation.
- How to use Kamae: What Kamae really is (+ how to use it to your advantage).
- How to move your body properly: Discover how Sakagami sensei's quote "consequence of body movement" takes your skill to the next level.
- Advanced hip movement: Forget about "twist your hip"...
- How to move into stance: By all means, do NOT step left or diagonally to the left. But... if you can't step - how do you get into stance?
- How your right arm should move: If you don't do this you're completely missing the point of Kihon Kumite 1...